Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Field Experience


1. How many hours did you complete?
  • Five and a half hours
  • 1 hour in a Reading Recovery class
  • 1 hour in a first grade classroom
  • 3 ½ hours at Public Library
2. In a short paragraph or bulleted list, how did you spend your time?
  • Reading Recovery – observed two thirty-minute sessions. 
  • 1st grade class – observed reading groups and center rotations
  • Public library –
- Helped put together summer reading program bags
- Talked with children’s coordinator to get an understanding of library and offerings.
- Observed story hour and helped with craft and snack
- Helped with set-up and observed magic show for summer program

3. How did the experience help you to strengthen at least one Kentucky Teacher Standard? (be sure to name the standard)
  • The field experience helped strengthen Standard 1: The teacher demonstrates applied content knowledge.  By observing two reading recovery classes I gained knowledge on the process and methods of helping struggling readers.
  • The field experience also helped strengthen Standard 8: Collaborates with colleagues, parents and others.   I learned through the experience at the library how they are able to help in the classroom and provide resources for different topics that I teach.
4. Talk a little about one thing you learned because of this field experience.
  • I learned that librarians do a lot for the library, more than I expected.  They must know and understand the children that come into the library to know what they will like and be interested in. 
  • I also learned that I am interested in Reading Recovery training.  During my observation I realized that I want to be part of this great program.  

No comments:

Post a Comment